It is a recording of a show at the Department of Safety in Anacortes, WA sometime in April 2005. As far as I remember the band was me, Dave Matthies, Alex Mahan, Ryland Bouchard, Megan MacDonald, and Jay Arner. Most of these songs were unreleased, unrecorded besides this.
There are some reference points to consider here:
- The character "Nobody" in the Jim Jarmusch film "Dead Man"
- Neil Young/Crazy Horse basic rock jamming on simple chords with the basic drum beats
- The geopolitical eternal war, especially during the early/mid Bush II era
- John Muir's point made about "the pathless way", the way of navigating a landscape without a trail, an omni-awareness vs. a bordered/trailed limited view, disconnected from the terrain and whatever food/water/life might be there
- collaboration and creation, playing songs without practicing them, attributing ownership to creative work made with others, channeling the accidents of discovery into something interesting, whose is it?
- "nobody's perfect.... oops"
- When I said "album cover" to the audience, I then made a pose, a shrugging "whoops" face
- the actual album cover photo shown here is a picture from Catch That Beat festival in Astoria, OR when I played with 4 drummers and dove backward into the drums multiple times. (Cobain)
- try to imagine a baby vulture.
Please remember this was 2005. This is an old thing, a hard drive scrap that still has something to chew on maybe.
Thank you. Goodnight.
May 5th, 2017